Here goes my first tip for a healthy mind and body!
Yes. Clean. Sounds boring and more like one of those things you simply do not want to do. However, I mean more than just clean. You need to create a space for you! A space that you can step into and feel relaxed.
Let me tell you why: Having a clean space is a psychological victory that will help establish the framework for so many other aspects of your life. With having a space that is free from dirt, clutter, and an over amount of distractions, your mind can process more clearly. As a bonus point, the cleaner a room is the more room you have to move around. For clumsy people like me, this means less injuries! I would recommend that your clean space be your bedroom, but it could be any other room in your house. If the space you choose is your bedroom, it will have the added benefit of helping you get a better nights sleep. Whatever space you choose, make this clean space a place that you can go to relax, but also a place that you can pray, read your Bible, and reflect on the day or where God may be leading you to next. This is especially important if you do not live with people who share your beliefs. Not only do some people respond badly to your faith being thrown in their faces, but it is important for you to have time with God that is not spent sharing your faith with others. There are other situations in which it might be more appropriate to bring up your faith. Living in a non-Christian home is something I know very well. I found that just going to church or going to my room to read the Bible was enough for my other family members to ask me questions. However, this might be a topic for another day. Heres my tips to creating that clean space:
- Pick your room or area.
- Declutter! Get rid of the things that you don’t want, need, or use anymore. (If it is broken and can’t be fixed, this counts too).
- Clean the room or area by removing dust, garbage, etc.
- Organize your stuff in a way that makes sense to you (and the other people that need to use the room).
- If possible, add your personal touch. Paint it a colour you like but be careful to make it relaxing. Put up pictures of your family or friends or a visual poster of your goals. Put up some favourite verses.
- If you like scents, get some essential oils you like, add a scent diffuser or if you can, a candle.
- Maintain the space with regular cleaning and remember to put things away.
And there you have it! 7 steps for a clean, calm space. Step 7 is particularly important though. All your hard work will go to waste if you don’t take a bit of time to keep it the way you want. I try to put things away when I finish with them and try to do light cleaning once a week. Its not always possible but the more you can take care of your space, the more you will be able to enjoy it. Another small tip is that while you are in your space, having some calming music or white noise (such as running water or a fan) can really help you relax. I recently purchased a fish tank and found that the sound of water moving makes my space a lot more calming. As a bonus feature, it reminds me of my favourite place to be: by the lake. I hope these few tips and tricks help you out and stay tuned for part 3 coming up soon!