I’m not sure how many of you readers are currently in school or have already started school, but I thought that this blog post might be useful to ease any anxieties you might have about starting school. It can be really difficult to start school, especially if it is your first day of university or college. To be honest, I am used to attending university, but I am always nervous before the first day. Don’t feel like you are alone if you too feel nervous!!!
I have learned that there are a few things you can do to calm your anxieties before starting school and ways you can survive your first day.
Before school starts, try your best to do these things:
- Go to your orientation/tour.
- Find out what materials and supplies you need for your program.
- Obtain the materials and supplies you need.
- Pick out an outfit.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep.
These five things are pretty obvious things, but they really do help. It helps relieve anxiety and pressure if you know you are prepared. By going on a tour or to your orientation, you may meet some new friends as well. Often school’s will pair up people in similar programs so that they have someone to relate to. Use this opportunity!
For the day of, here are some helpful tips:
- Go in with a positive attitude.
- Go earlier than your first class so that you can find your classes.
- Pack a really good meal and snacks for the time you will be at school.
- Bring water.
- Remember everyone else is in the same boat as you are.
- Be attentive in class.
- Take some deep breaths before your class if you need to.
- Go early to class to pick the seat you find most comfortable.
- Be friendly to people.
- Enjoy it!
There are probably a lot more things that could be added to this list, but the biggest part about surviving your first day is your mentality about it. Do your best to have a good attitude and even the worst situation will not seem as bad.
I hope these tips help and I wish you luck if you are starting school soon. I begin tomorrow so I will be sure to try out some of these myself!