The warden threw a party in the county jail.
The prison band was there and they began to wail.
The band was jumpin’ and the joint began to swing.
You should’ve heard those knocked out jailbirds sing.
Let’s rock, everybody, let’s rock.
Everybody in the whole cell block
was dancin’ to the Jailhouse Rock.
What a great song from Elvis Presley! I love this song, but its funny that now listening to it, a different meaning jumps out at me. Oddly, it reminds me of going back to school and dorm life. Although students aren’t under arrest or trapped in their dorm room cells, it can feel like it sometimes. This song reminded me to make sure we make time to relax and have a good time despite having so many things to do. I think this is something some of us forget to do. However, this doesn’t mean you should do no work! You are paying good money to get your education so don’t waste that opportunity. The important thing to remember is to keep relaxing and work in balance.
So how do you keep work and school in balance and escape having cabin fever? I have some tried and true suggestions just for you!
- Go to a coffee shop to do some school work!
- Have a movie night with your pals or by yourself!
- Work in another room that is new to you: cafe, library, outside…
- Have 10 minute dance parties every hour for a quick break!
- Go home for a few days if it is possible for a change of scenery.
- Make a list of items you need from the store and go on a shopping excursion.
- Clean your dorm room. (Maybe boring, but if you put on music and dance with the broom, you may have more fun and get a lovely clean space out of it)!
- Go out for dinner with friends.
- Go on a date with your significant other.
- Work on your hobby!
- Schedule weekly chat sessions with a friend or friends. (Not gossip sessions, catch up sessions or to discuss a shared interest).
- Do a facemask.
- Paint your nails.
- Put together an outfit for the next day.
- Have a shower!
- Walk around the school with a friend.
- Go to the gym for an hour.
- Arrange to go to a community library for something new.
- Read a book for fun. (No textbooks allowed)!
- Call your family, friends, or significant other.
- Write a short story or poem!
- Go jump in the leaves, snow, or puddles with a friend.
- Look at pets for sale on the internet.
- Create a dream board. (Put pictures of places you want to visit, your goals, your dream house, etc.).
- Get involved in a club.
- Go to a young adults event.
- Video chat with a friend, family, or your significant other.
- Eat lunch/dinner in the cafeteria and don’t bring it to your room.
- Go for a weekend getaway with your best friends!
There you have it! 30 ways to escape cabin fever and rock the jailhouse we sometimes feel school is.
What do you do to escape cabin fever? Any tips you can share?
Until next time,